In handling your personal and financial information, Police Financial Services Limited ABN 33 087 651 661 (‘BankVic’, ‘us’, ‘we’, ‘our’) is committed to complying with the Privacy Act 1988 and the Australian Privacy Principles.
BankVic recognises the importance of your privacy and is committed to protecting all personal and financial information about you that we hold. We are intent on safeguarding your privacy.
Detailed privacy information
Why do we obtain information?
BankVic collects personal information directly from you before, during or after the provision of products and services to you, when you apply for membership and when you inform us of any change to the information we hold about you. We also collect your personal information from others when you transact on your account/s, visit our website, as required by relevant laws, or with your specific consent in managing our business.
When providing credit to you, this may include assessing your application for consumer or commercial credit or to be a guarantor for the applicant, assessing your creditworthiness, managing your loan, or the arrangements under which your loan is funded or collecting overdue payments.
If you do not provide the requested personal information, BankVic may not be able to consider your application for credit or provide other services.
We use your personal information when:
- considering your eligibility for membership;
- considering your requests for products, services and other benefits;
- providing you with products, services and other benefits or special offers;
- executing your instructions;
- providing you with information about other products and services that may be of interest to you;
- managing your membership and accounts, including handling your concerns or complaints or any legal action, collecting overdue payments, to identify, prevent or investigate any fraud, unlawful activity or misconduct or suspected fraud, unlawful activity or misconduct;
- maintaining and developing our business systems and infrastructure; and
- as required by relevant laws, regulations, or codes of practice. The respective law will always be explained in seeking your consent to collect, use and disclose your personal information.
Most commonly, the collection, use and disclosure of personal information will be subject to:
- the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 where the provision of a designated product or service is governed by that Act;
- the provision, use and disclosure of your Australian tax file number under the Tax Administration Act 1953;
- where you are a tax resident of a country other than Australia, we ask you to disclose certain information under Division 396 of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 as it relates to all non-residents (Common Reporting Standard) and United States residents and citizens (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act);
- where an insurance product is governed by the Insurance Contracts Act 1973, we will ask you and any life to be insured for information which may affect the insurance company’s decision to grant insurance or the terms of insurance;
- under the Retirement Savings Account Act 1997 we are required to collect information about identity and circumstances for the purposes of opening and operating the respective account; and
- under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2010 to ensure we have sufficient information to make an informed decision about your credit application.
For the purpose of providing products and services to you and managing our business, we may give information to:
- external service providers to us, such as organisations which we use to verify your identity, payment systems operators, printing and mailing houses, administrative and operational services and research consultants
- insurers and re-insurers, claims assessors and investigators where insurance is provided in connection with our services to you
- superannuation funds, where superannuation services are provided to you
- debt collecting agencies, if you have not repaid a loan as required
- organisations involved in surveying or registering a security property or which otherwise have an interest in a security property
- our professional advisors, such as accountants, lawyers and auditors
- information technology service providers including those who assist or support us with data storage and processing and software development
- state or territory authorities that give assistance to facilitate the provision of home loans to individuals
- other financial institutions, including other credit providers and their professional advisors
- organisations with who we have an alliance or agreement for the purpose of promoting our respective products or services and agents used by us and our business partners in administering such an alliance or agreement
- your representative, for example, lawyer, mortgage broker, insurer, other financial institution, financial advisor or agent, your executor, your administrator, trustee, guardian or power of attorney, your employer, referees and other person as authorised by you or to the extent deemed necessary by BankVic in order to deliver any instruction you give us
- law enforcement bodies and courts or
- government and regulatory authorities, such as Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre and Australian Securities and Investments Commission, if required or authorised by or under Australian law.
In addition, in connection with providing credit to you, we may:
- obtain a commercial and consumer credit report containing information about you from a credit reporting body
- obtain personal information about you from your employer and any referees that you may provide
- exchange credit information about you with other credit providers, and
- exchange credit information about you with any credit reporting body and any other provider of credit to you named in your credit application or a credit report from a credit reporting body.
Credit Providers can mean:
- any introducer, dealer or broker referred to in a loan application
- any lenders’ mortgage or trade insurer in the event that BankVic decides to obtain lenders mortgage insurance or trade insurance in relation to your loan application
- any agent or contractor of ours assisting in processing a loan application, and
- other entities involved that may be involved in a securitisation arrangement which we use to fund your loan in the securitisation of your loan, including without limitation other credit providers and any loan originator.
Under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act, Act, we can disclose your name, residential address and date of birth to an electronic verification service (Edentiti) or credit reporting body such as Equifax Pty Ltd (Equifax). The purpose of this disclosure is to ask Edentiti or Equifax to assess whether the personal information disclosed matches (in whole or part) personal information about you held in their records (if any). This electronic verification process helps us to verify your identity.
If you do not consent to us verifying your identity by electronic verification, we will provide you with an alternate verification process to identify you. This is explained in our membership application, on our website or you can contact us on 13 63 73 for further information.
We will not disclose your personal information overseas. However, our third party service providers may do. If we do disclose your information outside Australia, we will do so on the basis that the information will be used only for the purposes set out in this document.
If you apply for or hold any kind of credit with us, we may disclose information about you to a credit reporting body. That includes disclosing that you are in default under a credit agreement or have committed a serious credit infringement if that is the case.
Credit reporting bodies collect credit information about individuals which they provide as credit reports to credit providers and others in the credit industry to assist them in managing credit risk, collecting debts and other activities.
"Credit pre-screening" is a service for credit providers wishing to send direct marketing material about credit services. A credit reporting body uses the information it holds to screen out individuals who do not meet the criteria set by the credit provider. Credit reporting bodies must maintain a confidential list of individuals who have opted out of their information being used in pre-screening. To opt-out of credit pre-screening, contact the credit reporting body, using the contact details on their website, referred to above.
You can also ask a credit reporting body not to use or disclose your personal information for a period if you believe on reasonable grounds that you have been or are likely to be a victim of fraud, including identity fraud.
Lenders' mortgage and trade insurers
In connection with providing credit to you, a lenders' mortgage insurer or a registered trade insurer may obtain credit information about you from a credit provider (such as BankVic) or from a credit reporting body (such as Equifax) to assess whether to provide lenders' mortgage insurance to us in relation to an application for consumer credit, or whether to provide trade insurance to us in relation to an application for commercial credit.
In connection with providing credit to you, BankVic may give a guarantor, or a person who is considering becoming a guarantor, credit information about you for the purpose of enabling the guarantor to decide whether to act as guarantor or to keep informed about the guarantee.
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that all your personal information held by us (on our website or otherwise), is protected from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, disclosure or modification.
Our Privacy Officer's contact details are:
Address: GPO Box 2074 Melbourne VIC 3001
Telephone: 13 63 73
Consumer Data Right policy
We may use information about you to inform you about products and services (unless you ask us not to). We may do so even if you are on the Do Not Call Register. To opt-out of receiving direct marketing contact BankVic on 13 63 73 or email us at email@example.com. Our electronic marketing messages will include an 'unsubscribe' option allowing you to opt-out of receiving further direct marketing.
We recommend that you read the following documents: